Many products and items we use every day contain Calcium carbonate powder. In this article we will explore what stone powder is and what Calcium carbonate powder is used for!
What is the definition of CaCO3? What types of Calcium carbonate powder are there?
If you don’t know what Calcium carbonate powder is, let’s find out its definition right now. Calcium carbonate powder, also known chemically as Calcium Carbonate, is inherently a chemical compound with the formula CaCO3. And a very interesting study shows that an estimated 5% of our earth’s crust is some form of calcium carbonate i.e. Calcium carbonate powder.
In nature, Calcium carbonate powder is often found in the form of stone (limestone, chalk, marble,…). If you look to buy Calcium carbonate powder, you will know that there is not only one type of Calcium carbonate powder, but there are many types, including types of stone powder such as:
Each type of stone powder will have different characteristics, composition, properties and uses. Therefore, before buying to use, you need to research carefully and determine what your needs are to use stone powder to choose the most suitable type.
How is ultra-fine stone powder created?
The process of producing ultra-fine stone powder below will help you imagine how people create it:
- Stone is selected, screened to remove impurities and transported to the factory.
- All ingredients are strictly inspected, selected, washed and dried
- Choose stones of moderate size
- Use an excavator to pour into the silo and run it through a hammer to reduce the rock to a smaller size.
- The product is transported and poured directly into the 3R3016 grinding machine and produces super fine stone powder.
- Stone powder is bagged, weighed, placed in ball and put into finished product warehouse.
What should you keep in mind when putting raw materials into stone powder production? That is, the raw materials must meet the standards of having no edges, seams, no soil adhesion, no impurities and be of moderate size.
Great applications of stone powder
Calcium carbonate powder has many wonderful applications that we cannot imagine in different fields.
Application of CaCO3 powder in paint production
- Produce high quality civil paint: NSS 500; NSS 800; NSS 1000
- Produce civil economic water paint: NSS 1500; NSS 2000; NSS 2500; NSS 3000
- Produce traffic paint: NSS 45R; NSS 60
- Produce stone paint: NSS 45R; NSS 60
- Produce wall putty: NSS 45R
In the coating industry, calcium carbonate powder is considered as the main filler.
The fineness, coverage, particle size distribution, uniformity, and low impurity content of calcium carbonate affect the opacity of the coating process. In addition, calcium carbonate has high brightness, low oil absorption, good dispersion, durable in the environment, low abrasion ability, stable pH, enhances environmental corrosion resistance and improves viscosity for the products.
Calcium carbonate is used extensively in paint industry, it contributes to increasing the optical power and the weight of paint. Calcium cabonate can be used up to 60% of the content in paint manufacturing.
Application of CaCO3 powder in paper manufacturing
- Writing paper: NSS 500; NSS 800; NSS 1000
- Toilet paper; Paper craft: NSS 3000; NSS 45R
The use of minerals in paper production has long been known, kaolin and clay are the main raw materials used as fillers in paper production but the cost is high while calcium carbonate is abundant in nature, lower cost but higher whiteness. Paper production environment is usually acidic, calcium carbonate helps to change it into an alkaline environment, which is very good for paper production. Calcium carbonate is the most important filler and coating agent in paper making process. Fillers and coated calcium carbonate will give the paper opacity, gloss and good printability at competitive prices
Canxi cacbonat là chất độn và chất tráng phủ quan trọng nhất trong quá trình sản xuất giấy. Chất độn và tráng phủ canxi cacbonat sẽ cho giấy có độ đục, độ bóng và khả năng in ấn tốt với giá cạnh tranh
- Calcium carbonate can be used in very large quantities, the amount of wood material can be reduced without affecting the durability of paper. Paper machines can operate at higher speeds and make dry paper faster, these improvements save energy costs.
- Coated means increasing the surface quality of paper and hard paper, the large-scale coating process under the fiber structure layer will leave a uniform paper surface for better printing process
Application of CaCO3 powder in Rubber industry
Choosing the right type of calcium carbonate (top cut control), customers can achieve cost-reduction benefits by allowing higher calcium carbonate fillers without affecting the production process as well as the final product.
Using calcium carbonate in thermosetting resins reduces costs and enhances mechanical and optical properties.
Calcium carbonate is used to control viscosity, coefficient of thermal expansion, shrinkage of the products.
Calcium Carbonate powder is used in a variety of rubber applications; it can enhance hardness or provide abrasion resistance. Some special examples of using CaCO3 in the rubber industry: there are about 15 to 20% in polyvinyl chloride (uPVC) drainage pipes, about 5 to 15% for stearicacid coated Calcium Carbonate powder in the uPVC window. PVC cables also use calcium carbonate to enhance mechanical properties (elongation and tensile strength) and grid (resistivity). Polypropylene mixtures are often used with CaCO3 to enhance hardness, which is a significant prerequisite at high temperatures.
Used in the manufacture of tire straps, shoe soles & sandals, Mat, Conveyors, Floor tiles, Belts, R.P. Hoses county etc.
Improve strength and add whiteness to rubber products.
Application of CaCO3 powder in Feed industry
Application of CaCO3 powder in animal feed, livestock industry: NSS 45R; NSS 60
Calcium carbonate powder with application for all animal and poultry feed products is a calcium content supplement and mineral supplement for livestock. Calcium carbonate is essential for egg formation and bone growth.
Granular calcium carbonate increases digestibility in poultry.
CaCO3 is used as a fertilizer to help plants grow, stabilize the pH of the soil, provide nutrients for the plants. Moreover, CaCO3 is also used as an additive for the pesticide manufacturing industry because this mineral is quite environmentally friendly, ensuring the development of society and humanity.
Application of CaCO3 powder in Water treatment
As a natural product, calcium carbonate is used to treat the environment.
- Use calcium carbonate powder to remove sulfur in the gas pipe.
- Handle drinking water, drinking water needs to be pure. CaCO3 powder plays an important role in purifying water, helping to remove organic impurities and metal-containing components.
- Treat pond wastewater to neutralize acid.
- CaCO3 powder used to treat liquid waste eliminates dirty colloids, increases the size of dirty impurities and increases the dry matter content. This makes waste filtration easier and improves the durability of the water separator.
- Calcium carbonate as a natural neutralizer and a pollutant filter, it is not dangerous to health and does not contain toxic substances.
Application of CaCO3 powder in plastic industry
Purpose of using CaCO3 powder in plastic industry:
In plastic manufacturing, apart from synthetic resin as the basis, CaCO3 powder is one of the most important additives. Since calcium carbonate powder is naturally available, environmentally friendly and low cost with high whiteness, it is used in plastic industry to:
- Improve the performance
- Reduce product costs
- Increase product hardness
- Increase the whiteness and brightness
- Surface treatment, increase surface gloss
- Contribute to protecting the environment (increase the degradation in biodegradable bags)
Application as an additive in plastic industry, taical granulation:
- Film blowing, plastic bag, woven PP yarn. Used with LDPE, LLDPE, HDPE, PP to reduce cost, create gloss and whiteness: NSS 800; NSS 1000; NSS 1500; NSS 2500; NSS 3000
- PVC pipes and fittings: Create high rigidity, reduce costs, shorten production time, enhance product surface gloss.
- Electric cables: Increase fire resistance, create product surface gloss, increase hardness and reduce costs.
- Molded plastic products, extrusion, blowing, injection molding, parts, equipment, household products and automotive industry.
- Household PVC plastic such as ceiling panels, cladding, plastic wall, plastic door frames, tables and chairs, floor tiles, FOAM plastic sheets: Help increase the dispersion of plastics and chemicals, optimize gloss, increase hardness, reduce costs.
- EVA foam floor cover, shoe sole liner.
- Artificial grass.